8.27.2012

Newsletter- Week 1

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I take the title of "Typo Queen" to a new level- I am incapable of writing more than 2 sentences without a typo.  I can read, reread, and reread again and it will STILL have a typo hiding somewhere.  I use to make another teacher read over my newsletters before I sent them out, but she moved to Fort Worth and I don't want to make my husband go back to doing it, so please understand that my head works faster than my fingers and even though I misspell words and misuse punctuation here and there, I really do know how to teach your children.
image.png
This week's phonics rule is "Every word MUST have a vowel!"  We will also be reviewing the long a sound, as well as the -at and -an word families.  We will take a practice spelling test this Friday, but it is only practice.  My goal is to send this home Friday afternoon so you can discuss it with your child before our first real test next week. A spelling post will be coming today as well.
image.png
This week in RW, we are learning what workshop is all about.  We will brainstorm what RW looks like and sounds life, how to treat a book and even discuss our favorite books and reading memories.  Establishing a specific routine and high expectations for behavior in Reader's Workshop will ensure the most positive learning environment possible for the rest of the year.  If this year is anything like the last few, I will be hard on the kids this week.  If I ask them to read quietly, that's exactly what I expect and even if one person chooses to push the boundary, workshop will be over, we will practice, and start all over.  It's harsh, but it works and you'll see the results of a well managed Reader's Workshop over the next few weeks and months in your child's progress.  I am attaching a rubric that will explain points I'll be teaching both to help you to know what I'm teaching, as well as to use in this situation:
YOU:  "What did you learn in school today?"  
1st GRADER: "Nothing."



image.png




Writing takes on many different forms at the beginning of first grade.  This week will be reintroducing the workshop (which most should know well from kindergarten), but will a first grade twist.  It get's harder, their teacher will expect more, and here is where I establish who needs help with handwriting.  I hesitate to talk handwriting in the WW section, but here's my theory on it.  I have a hard time devoting 15-20 minutes a day to handwriting for EVERY student when it's really just a handful of students that need real help- I despise wasting learning time, so I came up with a solution last year that worked beautifully- it's called Handwriting Boot Camp.  I'll use this time (in addition to teaching writing) to determine of HBC is something your child would benefit from.  If it is, I'll call you in for a conference, where I'll explain the process, but in a nutshell, here it is- for 30 min, 2 days a week, your child will receive small group handwriting instruction with a student from Texas A&M.  You will be part of the process, because whatever they learn at school, they will have to come home and do for you (you will have a matching workbook at home).  At the end of 6 weeks, you won't believe the change!  More on this later... ( just so you know, MY 1st grader will be part of this group for SURE)

Back to actual Writer's Workshop, establishing that predictable routine and setting expectations will be the top of the priority list this first week.  As far as content, we will write small moments from our lives, starting with small stories from our summer vacation.  Here's a breakdown of WW.

image.png
This week, we will do very simple activities from each mathematical strand, so I can assess where your child is and where he/she needs to go.  I am very picky about math instruction as kids come to me barely able to count without fingers and sitting right next to them are kids able to subtract into the negatives.  The needs of math learners at this age are so completely different, student to student and even strand to strand.  I will take the month of September to get a complete view of your child's needs, then from October on, hold on to your seats.  If you know your child has any particular strengths or weaknesses in any mathematical area, let me know so I can make a note of it.  For now, here's a GREAT article I think all parents should read (coming from a parent, not a teacher).
image.png
Science will start soon, but this week we will defer to Social Studies-
image.png


Our Social Studies time this week will focus on our expected behaviors for first grade.  We will become familiar again with Conscious Discipline, the 'safe place', and we will study the words Respect, Responsibility and Self Control.  We will role play how to handle people who aren't showing respect, responsibility, or self control, and we'll memorize our class motto "We do things the right way, all the way, and with a happy heart."

image.png
It seems like the summer FLEW by, but soon it'll be the end of December and we'll say the exact same think about this Fall semester.  Of course this is being written before our first day actually starts, but I'll say with complete confidence that it was an amazing first day, I can't wait for tomorrow and I look forward to a wonderful year of love, laughter, and learning with an amazing group of children.  I am blessed beyond belief to do what I love and love what I do! Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment